Tuesday, September 7, 2010

A really "nice" day vs. my "birthday"

I was going to title this one "All I got for my birthday was a 'discussion' (you'll have to read Cindy's blog to understand it) but it wouldn't be totally true since I got a little more than just a 'discussion'.

The opportunity for 'discussion' arose when I looked deep into my heart and felt that for my birthday I wanted to do nothing. A lot is going on at work, a lot is going on at church with the Young Men, a lot is going on at home with school starting, and what really sounded good to me was the opposite ... not a lot going on and if possible ABSOLUTELY NOTHING GOING ON. The problem is that Cindy, the 3 boys, and Ashton didn't like the sound of Labor Day being spent doing nothing. In fact, the 80 degree weather with soft cool breeze and crystal blue sky was so beautiful I have no doubt that when Judgement Day called my name and the 'books' were opened, the narrator would say, "And what do you say for yourself regarding the sin committed September 6, 2010 when on an absolutely perfect day you asked that your family do NOTHING, stay inside and not even see the beauty of the day" and I would say, "yes, I'm guilty. I wanted to do nothing and was willing to defy a perfect weather day in an effort to do nothing".

In the end, after some nice 'discussion' ... we went for a family hike, found a waterfall with nice warm water to play in, climbed the hills and saw some gorgeous overlooks of the forrest scenery and my "BIRTHDAY" became a really "NICE" day instead because we did something.

6 comments:

  1. good for you for changing your mind. but, i still think doing nothing sounds great. rest when your dead.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Did anybody who is not your wife and kids wish you a happy birthday? And, did they mention it was from both of us?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Of course his mom and dad wished him a Happy Birthday. It was the anniversary of a momentous day in our lives...and, NO, we forgot to mention it was from James too.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have been thinking about calling you to wish you a happy birthday for the past 3 days now. The problem is I think about it when the kids are in bed and it is 9 pm. Which means 11 pm at your place. When is too late to call? Happy Birthday. My gift to you has been to not call!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Notice how Mom and Dad think that YOUR birthday is momentous? Not the rest of us, those days are just bummers... (i.e. "not another one...") I guess your birthday was momentous because they didn't know any better.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I wished you a happy birthday vicariously through Cindy. Doing nothing can be the best present ever. But a waterfall with a pond to swim in sounds wonderfully relaxing too. Lots of Love from Mom & Dad Cadina.

    ReplyDelete